User-agent: * Allow: / Trenton Butcher Block: Pavo Gratis

"Our Liberties We Prize, Our Rights We Will Defend."

Commentary on national and local events from the standpoint of a Trenton city resident and state worker.

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Pavo Gratis

While shopping at the Supremo Supermercado at the Lalor Plaza a few weeks ago I noticed a sign as I was passing through the caja advertising pavo gratis.  No, as you can probably guess, I don't speak much Spanish.  But I did go to high school once, spent a week driving around Puerto Rico, worked in the Mercer County welfare office, and lived in South Trenton for about 18 years.  Taken together, all that collective experience means that I can read signs written in Spanish.  For the uninitiated a caja usually means "box", but if you are in Puerto Rico it is also a checkout counter.  And of course, pavo gratis means free turkey.   Happy Thanksgiving!

While I'm on the subject, I thought I'd give you some links to Spanish language recipees for roast turkey so you could try out some of the ways our European cousins cook the bird.  http://www.recetascomidas.com/recetas-de/pavo-asado  This is a link to a cooking site from Spain.


Today, many of the people living in South Trenton are of Hispanic origin.  Not very long ago, Eastern Europeans predominated.  Today, I am going to celebrate my Eastern European heritage while helping to support a local business.  I will be eatin my turkey dinner at the Blue Danube, a wonderful Hungarian joint located at the corner of Elm and Adeline streets a few blocks from my home.  Maybe I'll also be cooking up my own bird and having it on another day, but today I feel lazy and am planning to relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment